The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said a campaign of calumny was being sponsored against the Nigerian military.
John Agim, a Brigadier General and Acting Director Defence Information, in a statement on Saturday said claims that troops were not getting their allowances were false.
He recalled that the military responded promptly to unwarranted killings of people in Zamfara, Kebbi, Katsina, Sokoto and Birni Gwari areas by establishing Operation Sharan Daji.
“So far, our gallant troops have taken the battle to the forests where the bandits and militias use as hideout before their numerous attack on innocent citizens.
“Now that the tide has changed against the bandits, there is a plot to distract and cause disaffection among our troops with a false message circulating in the social media that the troops allowances are not being paid completely.
“Let me state categorically here that, there is no other special allowance approved from Defence Headquarters than what is being paid to the troops in Operation Sharan Daji, and the troops allowances are paid up to date.
“In fact, even the troops August allowances have been paid to the Force Commander and arrangement has been completed to pay their August allowances by next week.
“I, therefore, urge our gallant troops to remain focused and not distracted as the Chief of Defence Staff, General Abayomi Gabriel Olanisakin who is always concerned about the welfare of troops, knows and approves all your allowances.
“The general public is hereby requested to disregard the false message as it is intended to distract and discourage the fighting spirit of our gallant troops.”
Leave a Reply